Last updated: April 15, 2022
Rogue Star is a futuristic science fiction MMORPG that combines the action packed gameplay of classic space shooters, like Wing Commander, with RPG elements from popular online games, like World of Warcraft. Using the power of Web3 blockchain technologies, we enable players to own the loot they collect, items they craft, and even the discoveries they make across the universe.
Rogue Star will launch with cross chain compatibility, because we believe, as developers, players should not be forced to adopt any particular blockchain. Players should and will be able to play the game without knowing they are interacting with NFTs - meaning, anyone can interact with our game just like they would any other 'regular' online title.
That said, Web3 doesn't work without NFTs and SPL tokens, and we'll be using them in significant ways, but always to enhance the player experience and never to detract from it. In simple terms, this means having a player focused economy where they actually own what they earn, be that in terms of loot, currency, or even information itself.
Before we get into the nuts and bolts of Rogue Star, it's important to understand the key tenants of design philosophy that permeate everything that we do in the game. We don't believe these are complex, but understand that some of them might be seen as controversial or even revolutionary:
- 1.Fun Comes FirstThis is something that matters for gamers, but neglected and usually a distant second in P2E games. That's why Rogue Star isn't P2E, it's Play to Own (P2O) which is superior to P2E in terms of longevity, engagement, and entertainment.
- 2.Economies Should be Player FocusedThis is arguably the most exciting feature that Web3 unlocks for games and their players, and where we see others missing the mark. This singular focus leads to many realizations
- Most players don't have blockchain wallets
- Many players today distrust NFTs and blockchain games (at best)
- Players don't want to have their immersion broken to do transactions
- 3.Time and Money are Both Valued CurrenciesLast, but certainly not least, is that we believe both time and money should be valued currencies within any game's ecosystem. This means bucking the trend we see where Pay to Win runs rampant.
True to our mantra, we're putting the gameplay up front and center for Rogue Star. So let's punch those engines and go full speed ahead.